Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is also known as IBS, is a particular condition that affects a lot of people worldwide. The symptoms of this condition can be disturbing and frustrating. It is characterized by changes in a person’s bowel habits and abdominal pain. It is indeed a condition that can affect your daily routine. However, keep in mind that you can opt for the best treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. In fact, there are various natural ways to reduce the symptoms of IBS. To know more, read on.
Important Facts About Irritable Bowel Syndrome
A person who suffers from IBS may experience discomfort or pain in the abdomen and feel bloated. Other symptoms may include tiredness, indigestion, feeling sick, headache, backache, anxiety, and problems with their sex life. On the hand, medical experts still cannot figure out the real reasons or causes of IBS. However, they believe that IBS is the result of gastroenteritis, genetic make up, more frequent squeezing of bowel muscles, or food sensitivities. It is therefore important to find the best treatment for irritable bowel syndrome.
Different Remedies to Treat IBS at Home
People who suffer from IBS may choose to treat or lessen the symptoms of the condition with the use of different natural remedies:
1. Probiotics – These are live microorganisms that are good for your stomach. Probiotics can aid in good digestion. These microorganisms can hinder the growth of bad bacteria specifically in your digestive system. There are various foods which are considered rich sources of probiotics which include miso soup, yogurt, kimchi, as well as kombucha tea.
2. Peppermint Oil – The use of peppermint oil in reducing the symptoms of IBS has been proven to be effective. Peppermint oil can lessen bloating as well as abdominal pain. This oil has been used to get rid of excess gas in the intestines.
3. Ginger – A lot of people use ginger to treat IBS. Ginger has been traditionally used in treating various digestive problems. It can help in promoting faster and healthier digestion. Some people cut some ginger and boil it to make ginger juice or tea. On the other hand, others eat raw ginger to treat the symptoms of IBS.
4. Dill Oil – Another home remedy you can use is dill oil. You can take 1 teaspoon of this oil after every meal. You may add few drops of honey to add flavor or taste. Dill oil is used due to its ability to aid in digestion.
5. Asafetida – You may also use this home remedy to eliminate excess gas in your stomach. You can take a glass of lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt, ginger powder, and asafetida.
6. Flax Seeds – Another home remedy you can try at home is to eat raw flax seeds. These seeds have been famous due to its nutritional benefits. These seeds are also helpful in correcting a person’s digestive problems or impairment.
7. Fiber – If you want to lessen the severity of IBS symptoms, you should always include fiber in your diet. Make sure to opt for the healthy type of fiber – insoluble fiber. This type of fiber can help in preventing constipation because it can promote better digestion. Sources of insoluble fiber include cucumbers, zucchini, grapes, carrots, wheat bran, and dark leafy vegetables.
Indeed, there are various ways you can treat IBS at home. You may use one or two of these home home remedies and settle for the one which suits your needs. Consulting your doctor about your condition can also help.
How To Prevent and Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
Healthy Diet – In order to prevent IBS or lessen its symptoms, keep in mind that a healthy diet is very essential. You must eat regular meals daily. You should also drink plenty of water and limit the consumption of drinks that contain caffeine such as coffee and tea. Another thing you should do is to limit the consumption of frozen and processed foods. It is very important to eat foods such as fruits, cereals. green vegetables, fish, brown bread, and yogurt. On the other hand, always avoid foods that can worsen the symptoms of IBS such as cheese, chocolate, french fries, spicy foods, and other processed foods.
Regular Exercise – Another helpful thing to do to treat IBS is to have a regular exercise. A lot of people do regular exercises in order to relieve the symptoms of IBS. You can do at least 30 minutes of exercises daily. You can do this at least 3 times every week. Try vigorous exercise activities such as walking and brisk walking.
Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle – If you want to treat IBS, keep in mind that it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In this connection, you should avoid alcohol and other carbonated drinks. These drinks can worsen the symptoms of IBS. On the other hand, you should also avoid smoking. It is because smoking can cause your body to swallow air which can complicate the symptoms of IBS. Moreover, you should be able to manage stress. There can be various reasons why a person gets stressed out; it could be due to relationship problems, professional responsibilities, and other things. However, stress is already part of living but it doesn’t have to be a part of your life. You may get stressed out once in a while, but you need to learn how to manage it. An effective way to manage stress is to do relaxation activities or do things which can make you happy such as taking a short tip, going out with friends, or meditation activities.
It is indeed important to seek the best treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. IBS is an irritating condition. It may affect your work, sex life, and your life in general. With this, it is advisable to look for the best way to cure or lessen the symptoms of this particular condition. Just remember that you can always consult your doctor just in case the symptoms are getting awful. Every person who suffers from IBS must also remember the importance of living a healthy life.